Established in the framework of the FP7-REGPOT-2012-2013-1 Coordination and Support Actions - Theme Area “4.1 Unlocking and developing the research potential of research entities established in the EU´s Convergence regions and Outermost regions”, the BEYOND project (EC GA No 316210) aims at maintaining and expanding the existing state-of-the-art interdisciplinary research potential, by Building a Centre of Excellence for Earth Observation based monitoring of Natural Disasters in South-Eastern Europe. BEYOND foresees to increase its access range to the wider Mediterranean region through the integrated cooperation with twining organizations in Europe and USA. BEYOND Center of Excellence is hosted at the National Observatory of Athens (NOA) - Institute of Astronomy, Astrophysics, Space Applications and Remote Sensing (IAASARS). The operations of BEYOND officially started in June 2013, and will last for the next three years. The approved EC budget contribution for BEYOND is 2.305.650 Euros.
BEYOND aspires to:
1. Incorporate multidisciplinary excellence from diverse sciences, as Remote Sensing, Meteorology, Atmospheric Physics, Hazard Modelling, Geology, Geophysics, Seismology, Volcanology, and Hydrology.
2. Exchange know-how with more than 20 International Organisations (e.g. GEO, EC DGs, UNISDR), Universities at Europe and USA, and cooperate with Space Agencies such as ESA, NASA, and DLR.
3. Set up innovative integrated observational solutions of the Earth, allowing to a multitude of monitoring networks (space borne and in-situ), owned by NOA and the collaborative Institutions and Space Agencies, to operate in a complementary, unified and coordinated manner.
4. Transform the observations to added value products ready for down-streaming to specific societal needs for disaster management.
5. The online delivery of observations and higher level products to the involved stakeholders, scientists and institutional users.
BEYOND Research Portfolio:
The BEYOND research/product portfolio covers a broad spectrum of natural disaster phenomena such as earthquakes, volcanoes, extreme weather events, floods, fires, fire smoke and toxic gasses dispersion, emission concentrations, dust storms, air quality aspects and their impacts to human health.